Let laughter rule in the office. It can lead to happier and healthier employees and a more productive and creative workplace.
Do you often wonder why you are so distressed at work? Do you know that most people work hard but hate working? If you do not have fun at work, you are wasting 60 per cent of your life! It is crucial to make your work fun by transforming your work attitude and by promoting a fun workplace. Working is supposed to be a fun experience for all.
In a survey of Asian human resource (HR) development in the private and public sectors over the last six years, the QLQ International team observed that HR is in need of better life-work quality. Initiating "humour resource" may just be the answer.
Studies have proven that among other things, humour power enhances employees' total physical, mental and spiritual wellness.
Hence, where there is humour, there will be positive work attitude, work satisfaction, loyalty and better performance and productivity.
Humour is also said to be the best medicine for the individual life, so it is also a vital enhancer of workplace wellness. Workplaces lacking laughter often suffer higher work stress and health problems, more dissatisfied employees and poor work performance.
For the health of it, here are the seven reasons why humour resource can transform a distressed workplace into a fun workplace, and burnt-out employees into satisfied and productive workforce.
1. Humour resource transforms harmful stress into helpful stress. Once that happens, illnesses and sicknesses are kept at bay. Because it changes one's biochemistry and behaviour, humour also has healing power for the body, mind and spirit.
2. Humour resource lightens up the work atmosphere. The sound of laughter and the sight of smiling faces diffuse a heavily stressful atmosphere in the workplace.
3. Humour resource enhances work relations. Appropriate socialisation in the workplace is helpful in building empathy among employees and minimising organisational hierarchy. When employees have friends at the friendly workplace, they tend to come to work happily.
4. Humour resource promotes a positive work attitude. The best work attitude comes from having fun and being rewarded for one's work effort. It minimises errors at work while maximising quality performance. It will also motivate employees to go above and beyond what they are expected to do.
5. Humour resource increases work satisfaction and loyalty. Work is supposed to be a fun experience in the office. Work satisfaction comes from intangible rewards. Satisfied employees enjoy working and they have fewer health problems. There will also be a lower turnover rate.
6. Humour resource facilitates team bonding. As a result, there will be better communication, conflict resolution, decision-making and improved skills in coping with difficult people.
7. Humour resource incubates creative and innovative employees. When employees have fun together, they work best together. Happy employees in turn become more creative and put in innovative performances.
Article contributed by Dr James Y. Lin, chairman and CEO of Quality Lifeskills Quantum International (USA, Asia-Pacific), and corporate trainer and humourist.